- 4 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 300 ml milk
- 250 ml soda water
1. Preheat oven to 200°C fan bake or 220°C conventional and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift self-raising flour, salt and cayenne pepper into a mixing bowl. Stir in the grated cheese. Make a well. Pour in the milk and soda water and mix together to form a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface. Pat or roll the dough into a rectangle about 2cm thick. Cut dough into 12 pieces. Place on a baking tray.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool wrapped in a tea towel. Serve warm with butter or margarine.
For variation, add chopped spring onions, parsley or chopped sundried tomatoes when adding the grated cheese.