This delicious relish certainly is the special ingredient in Paper Moon’s award winning recipe Beans and Bacon Stack. Your taste buds will thank you for making it.
What do I need ?
3 x 400 g cans Wattie’s Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Juice
1 handful wood chip mix
1 large onion, sliced
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
a few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
150 ml white wine
50 ml white wine vinegar
75 g sugar
Add To Shopping List
How do I make it ?
1. Drain Wattie's Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Juice. Reserve the juice and set aside.
2. To smoke the tomatoes Pre-heat the oven to 200℃. Put the wood chips into a roasting dish and spread out. Place in the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes, or until starting to smoke. Remove from the oven (Caution! The wood chips will be very hot and there is a risk of fire).
- Place a cake rack over the chips. Put the drained tomatoes onto the rack. Cover with foil and wrap over the tomatoes. Tuck in the sides to seal well.
Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a further 5 minutes. Remove the foil and allow to cool.
3. Put a dash of oil into a large saucepan add the sliced onions, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and thyme and sauté over a medium heat until the onions are translucent and spices fragrant.
4. Pour over white wine, white wine vinegar and add sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Allow to reduce by half.
5. Add the smoked tomatoes and half of the reserved tomato juice. Cook with the lid off over a low to medium heat for a further hour, until thick and pulpy.
6. Remove from the heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Altertively use a food processor. Cool. Pour into jars. Seal and refrigerate. Use as required.
CAUTION: The wood chips do get very hot and there is a danger of fire. Altertively these can be smoked in a lidded BBQ. Do not leave your BBQ or oven uttended at any stage while smoking your tomatoes.