- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 rashers bacon, chopped
- 3 slices toast bread, crumbed
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 egg
- 1 fresh or frozen (defrosted) chicken
- 650 g bag Wattie’s frozen Kiwi Roast Mix
- 3 Tbsp Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (fan assisted).
2. Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan. Add onion, apple and bacon and cook over a medium heat to soften the onion. Set aside to cool. In a bowl mix together breadcrumbs, herbs and cooked bacon, onion and apple. Add egg and mix ingredients to bind.
3. Pat the chicken dry inside and out with paper towels. Fill the chicken cavity with the stuffing. Tuck the wings under the bird and tie the legs together. Place in a roasting pan. Brush the skin with a little oil and season with a little salt and black pepper. Roast according to bag instructions until chicken is cooked. The juices will run clear when pierced with a fork through the thigh. Cover with foil to keep warm while cooking the vegetables.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 210°C (fan bake) Place the Wattie’s frozen Kiwi Roast Mix in a roasting pan in a single layer. Toss through 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes or until vegetables are golden and crispy. Mix the Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup and balsamic vinegar together. Pour over the roast mix. Return them to the oven and continue cooking a further 5 minutes. Serve with the roast chicken and your favourite green vegetables.