This is a classic – a deliciously light and moist Victoria sponge, perfect for afternoon tea.
What do I need ?
Original recipe yields 1 serving
This tool adjusts ingredient amounts only, not method or nutrition information. Additional changes to equipment, baking times, etc. may be needed for recipe success.
200 g softened butter
1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp milk
½ cup Craig’s Strawberry Jam
¾ cup cream, whipped
Add To Shopping List
How do I make it ?
1. Preheat oven to 190℃. Grease the sides and line the base of 2 x 20cm sandwich cake tins with baking paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs to the mixture in 5 or 6 additions, beating well after each addition to thoroughly combine.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together and carefully fold in half to just combine. Fold in the remaining flour with the milk.
4. Divide the mixture equally between the two tins and spread out carefully to fill the tins.
5. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked. The centre of the sponges will spring back when lightly touched. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.
6. When cold, spread one half of the sponge with Craig's Strawberry Jam, then top with whipped cream. Sandwich the two halves together and dust with icing sugar before serving.