- 150g butter
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (100g) ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 410g can Wattie’s Pear Quarters in Clear Fruit Juice, drained and cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 22cm square cake tin with baking paper.
2. Melt butter and stir in sifted cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool.
3. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until thick and creamy. Fold in cocoa mixture, ground almonds, baking powder and chocolate. Pour into prepared cake tin.
4. Place the drained and chopped pears over the top and gently press into the mixture.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked. The centre will still be a little gooey and the top firm. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into pieces. Serve dusted with a little sifted icing sugar.
Replace ground almonds with hazelnuts if wished. If these are hard to find – purchase whole hazelnuts and grind them in a small food processor or coffee grinder.