- 150g butter
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (100g) ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 410g can Wattie’s Pear Quarters in Clear Fruit Juice, drained and cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 22cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Melt butter and stir in sifted cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until thick and creamy. Fold in cocoa mixture, ground almonds, baking powder and chocolate. Pour into prepared cake tin.
- Place the drained and chopped pears over the top and gently press into the mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked. The centre will still be a little gooey and the top firm. Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into pieces. Serve dusted with a little sifted icing sugar.
Replace ground almonds with hazelnuts if wished. If these are hard to find – purchase whole hazelnuts and grind them in a small food processor or coffee grinder.