Bloody good on a cold night
Create this mouth-watering hearty gumbo with a Wattie's condensed soup. A real winter warmer!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 1 chorizo or spicy sausage, sliced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 420g can Wattie's Condensed Tomato Soup
- 400g can Wattie's Mexican Style Tomatoes
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 250g firm white fish, cut into pieces (Hoki, Lemon fish)
- 250g raw prawn meat
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
1. Heat a dash of oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, celery and green capsicum. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring frequently until the vegetables are soft but not browned.
2. Add chorizo, thyme, bay leaf and continue cooking for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add Wattie’s Condensed Tomato Soup , Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
4. Add the prepared seafood and continue simmering until the seafood is just cooked, about 3-6 minutes. Stir through the chopped parsley and serve in bowls, accompanied with crusty bread.
Note: There are different types of chorizo, for a mild spicy heat use a milder sausage. For this recipe we used a very spicy chorizo which gives a smoky spicy hot note to the gumbo.
Add your favourite seafood to this recipe - mussels, calamari, scollops - or replace the fish with diced chicken breast meat. This should be added with the chorizo to ensure the chicken cooks through.
If gluten-free be sure to serve with a gluten-free bread.