roast pork is my favourite meat & naughty but nice of course is the crackling , this is the best way to get perfect crackling ,tried & tested
Perfect Roast Pork
- 2kg piece 100% New Zealand Pork Shoulder Roast, bone in
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups stock or water
- 700g bag Wattie's frozen Rosemary & Garlic Potato Roasters
1. Dry skin of the 100% New Zealand Pork Shoulder Roast . Make sure the skin has thin deep scores right through. Drizzle the oil over and rub into skin. Sprinkle salt over the skin and rub in. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 210°C. Place pork on a rack over a roasting dish and put in oven. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 150°C and continue cooking for 45 minutes per 500g. To check pork is cooked, pierce the thickest part with a knife: if the juices run clear, the pork is cooked. Alternatively, pork is cooked when the thermometer shows 71°C.
4. Remove pork from the oven and set aside to rest. Tip pan juices into bowl. For super-crispy crackling, remove the crackling from pork and place back on the rack. Increase the oven temperature to 190°C for 10 minutes.
5. To make gravy: Measure 3 tablespoons of the pan juices into a small saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring, until the flour turns a nut brown. Slowly add stock or water and stir continuously, until the gravy thickens and boils. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Season to taste.
6. Slice pork. Serve with Wattie’s Rosemary & Garlic Potato Roasters , seasonal vegetables, gravy and apple sauce.
Always allow the meat to rest before carving as this allows the juices to re-absorb into the meat.
Using a sharp knife carve the meat across the grain. For shoulder roasts follow the line of the bone.