| Makes 8
|| Prep Time 10 minutes
|| Cook Time 15-20 minutes
|| Easy As
2 cups flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
50 g butter, chilled
1 cup buttermilk
20 g butter, melted
2 Tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp Gregg's Ground Cinnamon
½ cup icing sugar
1 ½ Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan assisted). Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into pieces and rub into the flour mix with your fingertips to form coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mix in buttermilk to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly to form a ball. Roll out to a 20cm x 30cm rectangle.
- Brush dough with melted butter, reserving a little for the tops. Mix together brown sugar and Gregg’s Ground Cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough.
- Roll up from the longest side to form a scroll. Cut into 8 even sized pieces. Place scroll side up on a greased baking tray, placing them close together but not touching. Brush tops with a little of the remaining melted butter. Bake for 17-20 minutes until pale golden in colour and cooked. The scrolls will be soft and springy when pressed with your finger.
- Allow to cool on the tray. Drizzle over icing. Serve once icing has set.
To make the icing:
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Mix in milk to form a pourable icing.
- Scrolls can be frozen un-iced although best eaten on the day.
Swap it out
- Replace the icing with cream cheese icing if wish. To make beat together ¾ cup icing sugar, 15g butter(softened), 2 Tbsp cream cheese (traditional, softened) and 1 Tbsp orange juice or milk until light and fluffy. Spread over the top of the cinnamon scrolls.
Switch it up
- Scatter over ½ cup raisins, currants or sultanas with the cinnamon sugar if wished before rolling.