When poaching eggs:
- Make sure the eggs are fresh. Fresh eggs have a thicker white and hold their shape better when poaching.
- Crack the eggs into a cup before tipping it into the pan.
- The water in the pan should be at least 5cm deep. Add a dash of vinegar to the water
- Drop the egg into the simmering water. Do not allow the water to boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the white has set and the yolk cooked to your liking.
- If wished to help the white wrap around the yolk - stir the water to create a gentle ‘whirlpool’ before dropping the egg into the centre - making sure the water is only just bubbling - rather than a rapid boil.
Flavour up the baked beans with your favourite herbs or spices like curry powder or cayenne pepper.