Coq Au Vin
| Serves 4
|| Prep Time 15 minutes
|| Cook Time 1 ¼ hours
|| A Little More Effort
3 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
8 small shallots or onions
650g chicken thigh cutlets and drumsticks
1 Tbsp flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 cup red wine
2 Tbsp Wattie's Tomato Paste
1 tsp Gregg’s Rubbed Thyme
1 ½ cup reduced salt chicken stock
150g small button mushrooms
2 Gregg's Whole Bay Leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan assisted). Heat a dash of oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Add bacon and shallots and stir-fry over a medium heat until onions are golden and bacon crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Dust the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Add a little extra oil to the pan if necessary and add the chicken. Saute over a medium heat until chicken colours. Return the onions and bacon to the dish. Pour over red wine and allow to boil until it reduces by half.
- Stir in Wattie’s Tomato Paste, Gregg’s Rubbed Thyme and chicken stock. Add button mushrooms and Gregg's Whole Bay Leaves. Bring to the boil. Cover. Transfer casserole to the oven. Cook for 1 ¼ hours, until chicken is tender. Garnish with chopped parsley leaves.
- Serve with creamy mashed potato and your favourite green vegetables.
- If there is an excess fat layer when the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken from the dish once cooked and with a spoon remove it. Return the chicken to the dish and serve.
- Casserole can be cooked on the stove top if wished.