| Makes 1 loaf
|| Prep Time 20 minutes
|| Cook Time 55-60 minutes
|| Easy As
1 ½ cup flour
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp Gregg’s Ground Mixed Spice
¼ tsp Gregg’s Ground Nutmeg
½ cup raw sugar
¼ cup date syrup
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
1 banana extra (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease and line the base of a 11cm x 21cm x 7cm (7 cup capacity) loaf tin with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda Gregg’s Ground Mixed Spice and Gregg’s Ground Nutmeg into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat together raw sugar, date syrup, oil, eggs and mashed bananas. Pour into the dry ingredients and carefully fold in to mix.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin. Peel and cut the banana lengthwise, place on top of the banana bread mixture, if wished. Bake for 45-50 minutes. A skewer inserted into the middle of the bread will come out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a cake rack to cool completely, making sure the banana top is uppermost. Store in an airtight tin. Serve cut into slices.
- Date syrup adds a lovely flavour to the banana loaf but if you don’t have any increase the raw sugar from ½ cup to ¾ cup. The loaf will be lighter in colour.
- Cook mixture in muffin tins – the mixture will make approximately 18 muffins, depending on the size of the muffin tins used. Slice the extra banana into rounds and place a slice on each muffin. Increase the oven temperature to 180° (fan assisted) and cook muffins for 15-20 minutes, until tops are golden and cooked. The centre of the muffin will spring back when lightly touched with your finger.
- Wrap the cold cake tightly in cling film and place in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag. Can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature. It may be best to omit the sliced banana on the top of the bread if planning to freeze it.
Swap it out
- Replace the banana slices on top with 2 Tbsp finely chopped walnuts or slivered almonds.
- Replace the nutmeg with ½ tsp Gregg’s Ground Cinnamon.
- Try making this wholemeal by replacing ½ cup of the measured flour with ½ cup wholemeal flour.
- Replace raw sugar with soft brown sugar if wished.
Switch it up
- Add ½ cup dark chocolate chips to the mixture.
- Fold the zest from ½ an orange into the loaf mixture.