One Pan Italian Chicken and Orzo
| Serves 4
|| Prep Time 15 minutes
|| Cook Time 40 minutes
|| A Little More Effort
500g skinless chicken thigh fillets
1 large onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 Tbsp Gregg's Tomato Paste
½ tsp Gregg's Crushed Chilli
400g can Wattie’s Italian Style Tomatoes
½ cup chicken stock or water
¾ cup orzo pasta
2 Tbsp Mediterranean Basil Pesto Chunky Dip
Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Heat a dash of oil in a lidded frying pan. Add the chicken fillets and brown over high heat. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium–low, add the onion and garlic to the pan and stir fry until softened. Stir in the Gregg’s Tomato Paste and Gregg’s Crushed Chilli and cook for a minute.
- Pour over the Wattie’s Italian Style Tomatoes and stock or water. Stir, while bringing the sauce to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and return the chicken to the pan. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally.
- Scatter over the orzo and stir into the sauce. Continue cooking for a further 15 minutes, stirring again part way through cooking, until the orzo is tender and the chicken is cooked.
- Stir through Mediterranean Basil Pesto. Serve garnished with a little grated Parmesan. Accompany with your favourite green vegetables – steamed green beans or broccoli florets go well.
- This recipe get the Healthy Pick for Main Meals.
- The orzo will absorb most of the liquid to resemble a risotto. If the sauce gets too thick before the end of cooking, add a little extra stock or water.
Swap it out
- Replace the Wattie's Italian Tomatoes with Wattie’s Savoury Tomatoes instead.
- Try macaroni elbows instead of orzo.
- Replace the Wattie's Italian Tomatoes with Wattie's Indian Style or Mexican Tomatoes and omit the Basil Pesto chunky dip.