Roast Lamb with a Pea and Mint Pesto Crust
| Serves 6–8
|| Prep Time 30 minutes
|| Cook Time 2 hours
|| Test Your Skills
Pea and Mint Pesto:
2 cups Wattie's frozen Baby Peas
2 cloves garlic
1 cup fresh mint leaves
½ cup shelled pistachio or pine nuts
½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
3 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten free, optional)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Kg leg lamb
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- To make the Pea and Mint Pesto: Cook the peas according to packet directions. Allow the peas to cool. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Season to taste.
- To make the Pesto Crust: Mix together half a cup of the prepared pesto, panko crumbs and olive oil.
- To prepare the Lamb: Preheat the oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Place the lamb fat side up on a roasting dish.
- Spread the surface with dijon mustard. Spread and pat the pesto crust over the lamb. Drizzle over a little extra olive oil.
- Roast for about 2 hours.* After 1½ hours of cooking, place a sheet of foil over the crust to avoid it burning. Once cooked, remove from the oven and rest the lamb for 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve with the remaining Pea and Mint Pesto. If the pesto is too thick, stir in a little water. Serve with your favourite green vegetables and roast potatoes.
- *As a guide, lamb should be cooked for 25–30 minutes per 500g for medium doneness.
Swap it out
- Use the Pesto to top bruschetta or crostini. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil or top with slice bocconcini and fresh tomato.
- Mix sour cream or crème fraîche into the Pesto for a delicious dip.
- Stir the Pesto through cooked baby potatoes while still warm. Or create a potato salad – allow cooked potatoes to cool, mix mayonnaise into the Pesto and toss through the potatoes.
- Mix the pesto through creamy mashed potatoes.