Lentil and Spinach Cannelloni
| Serves 4–5
|| Prep Time 20 minutes
|| Cook Time 35–40 minutes
|| A Little More Effort
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp Gregg's Ground Cumin
120g bag baby spinach leaves, chopped
400g can Wattie's Lentils in Springwater, drained
200g tub ricotta
2 x 400g cans Wattie's Crushed and Sieved Tomatoes
2 Tbsp basil pesto
2 fresh lasagne pasta sheets
¼ cup (20g) grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (fan assisted).
- Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the Gregg's Ground Cumin and cook for a further minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the chopped spinach and drained Wattie’s Lentils. Add the ricotta. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and gently mix together.
- Heat the Wattie's Crushed and Sieved Tomatoes in a saucepan until hot. Stir through the basil pesto. Pour one-third of the sauce into a lasagne-style dish (approx 2L capacity).
- To make the cannelloni: Cut each fresh lasagne pasta sheet into 4. Divide the filling mixture into 8 portions. Spoon a portion of filling along the short end of a pasta sheet and roll loosely to enclose the filling. Place into the lasagne dish seam-side down. Continue with the remaining filling and pasta, placing the filled cannelloni in a single layer in the dish.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the cannelloni. Scatter over the grated Parmesan.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for a further 20–25 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the top is golden. Serve with a crisp green salad on the side.
- This recipe gets the Healthy Pick for Main Meals.
Switch it up
- Replace the fresh lasagne sheets with dried cannelloni tubes and fill the tubes using a small spoon or piping bag with a medium sized nozzle.