Teriyaki Chicken Donburi
| Serves 4
|| Prep Time 15 minutes
|| Cook Time 15 minutes
|| A Little More Effort
1¼ cups sushi rice
½ tsp salt
1 medium onion, halved and sliced lengthwise
1 medium carrot, cut into thin strips
500g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
210g pouch Wattie's WOK Creations Teriyaki Stir-Fry Sauce
1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp Gregg's Sesame Seeds, toasted*
Pickled ginger (optional)
Spring onions, sliced on the diagonal (optional)
- Rinse the sushi rice in cold water. Drain and put into a saucepan. Pour over 2½ cups cold water and add the salt. Cover and bring to the boil. Stir to prevent the rice from sticking. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and stand covered for a further 10 minutes to allow the rice to steam and finish cooking.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a dash of oil in a wok or frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and stir-fry for a minute. Increase the heat to high, add the chicken strips and continue to stir-fry until the chicken is golden.
- Add the Wattie’s WOK Creations Teriyaki Stir-Fry Sauce. Stir through and continue cooking for 5–10 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Boil or steam the broccoli until just cooked.
- Carefully mix the rice vinegar and sugar through the cooked rice.
- To serve, spoon a portion of rice into each bowl. Top with the teriyaki chicken and broccoli. Garnish with the toasted Gregg's Sesame Seeds, and the pickled ginger and sliced spring onions if wished.
- *To toast seeds: Place seeds in a small frying pan and toast over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes until lightly brown, shaking the pan regularly.
Swap it out
- Replace chicken with pork steaks cut into strips.