|Serves 6||Prep Time 10 minutes||Cook Time 1 hour|
1. Preheat a lidded barbecue to 200°C.
2. To butterfly or spatchcock the chicken, using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut chicken down each side of the backbone. Remove the backbone. Turn chicken breast side up. Press firmly on the breastbone to flatten.
3. To make the glaze mix together Wattie's Bit on the Side Cracker Cranberry Sauce, Chinese five spice, brown sugar and orange zest.
4. Place the chicken breast-side up in a tray or on a lined hotplate. Brush liberally with glaze, place on the barbecue and close the lid. Turn the middle burner off and reduce the outside burners to low.
5. Glaze the chicken every 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary according to chicken size and barbecue model. Allow approx 45-60 minutes.
6. To test if the chicken is fully cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the meat, when the juices run clear the meat is cooked. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
1. If preferred the chicken can be cooked in the oven at 180°C fan bake.
2. This recipe also works well using a turkey – follow instructions as per the recipe but allow extra cooking time – approx. 1 ½ hours for a size 4.0 turkey.
3. The chicken can also be roasted whole – basting as for the butterfly chicken.
4. The size of the chicken will depend on how many you are wanting to feed. The recipe for the glaze can be adjusted depending on the size of the chicken used.
* This recipe is classified as Gluten Free. To the best of our knowledge, the ingredients used in this recipe including the Heinz Wattie’s products do not contain any added cereals containing gluten or ingredients derived from cereals containing gluten. It is important to carefully read ingredient labels on food products because foods can sometimes be reformulated and the ingredients, allergens or nutrition information can sometimes change without notice.