Bacon and Egg Pie
| Makes 8–10 pieces
|| Prep Time 15 minutes
|| Cook Time 35–40 minutes
|| A Little More Effort
4 sheet flaky pastry
6 rashers bacon, roughly chopped
½–¾ cup Wattie's Frozen Baby Peas
1 egg, beaten, or 2 Tbsp milk
Wattie’s Tomato Sauce to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan assisted). Lightly grease a 24 cm x 20 cm ovenproof dish.
- Place 2 sheets of pastry on a lightly floured board, one on top of the other. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pastry large enough to line the base and sides of the dish. Scatter over half the bacon. Crack the eggs on top, breaking the egg yolks if wished. Season with salt and pepper before scattering the Wattie’s frozen Baby Peas and remaining bacon.
- Brush the edges where the pastry will join with beaten egg or milk. Roll the remaining 2 sheets of pastry and lay over the top and seal the edges. Brush the pie top with beaten egg or milk and make a slit in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes. Serve with Wattie’s Tomato Sauce.
- Make sure the dish is not too deep. The filling should be close to the top of the dish before laying over the pastry to avoid the pie sinking during cooking.
- Replace the pastry sheets with a 400g block of frozen and thawed flaky pastry. Roll out ⅔ to line the base and sides and the remaining ⅓ for the top.