Quick Mussel Chowder
| Serves 4
|| Prep Time 15 minutes
|| Cook Time 10 minutes
16-20 fresh mussels in shell
1 cup water
1 bay leaf (if you have one on hand)
2 stalks celery, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
½ leek or 1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp curry powder
2 x 535 g cans Wattie's Very Special Creamy Pumpkin Soup
chopped parsley to garnish
sour cream to garnish
- Discard any mussels that are open. Scrub the mussels and remove the beards. Heat the water and bayleaf in a saucepan until boiling rapidly. Add the mussels, cover and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the mussels in a colander and allow to cool, set aside.
- In a saucepan heat a dash of oil and gently cook the celery, carrot, leek or onion and curry powder for about 3-5 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Stir in the two cans of Wattie's Very Special Creamy Pumpkin Soup and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and do not boil.
- Discard any mussels that have not opened this time remove the meat from the shells of the ones that have and chop roughly. Add the mussels to the soup and warm through.
- Ladle into warm soup bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig parsley.