- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp custard powder
- 2 cups milk
- 2 small or 1 large trifle sponge
- 2 Tbsp sherry (optional)
- 820g can or 2 x 410g cans Wattie’s Fruit Salad in Clear Fruit Juice
- 300mL cream
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- Strawberries to decorate
- Make custard by mixing the sugar and custard powder together with ¼ cup of the milk until you have a smooth paste. Add the remaining milk and heat gently, stirring to prevent lumps. When mixture comes to the boil and has thickened, remove from heat and cool. To prevent a skin forming on the custard, press plastic wrap on the surface.
- Cut or break trifle sponge into pieces and place in the base of a large serving bowl. Sprinkle over sherry (if using). Drain the Wattie's Fruit Salad and reserve juice. Pour over enough fruit juice to wet the sponge. Spoon the drained fruit onto the sponge and top with a thick layer of cooled custard. Refrigerate until custard is firm.
- Whip the cream with vanilla essence and icing sugar and spread over the trifle. Decorate with cut strawberries when in season.
There are many different versions of trifle. Some cut and spread jam between the sponge before sandwiching it together and cutting into squares. There is also the popular jelly sponge, where you make up a pack of raspberry jelly and, instead of pouring over fruit juice, you pour the unset jelly over the sponge.