- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 slices white toast bread, crumbed
- 2 tsp Gregg's Rubbed Tarragon
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 tsp Gregg's Rubbed Tarragon
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 ½ Kg fresh or frozen and thawed whole chicken
To prepare the stuffing:
- Heat a dash of oil in a small pan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat until softened. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl mix together breadcrumbs, Gregg’s rubbed Tarragon, parsley and onions. Add egg and mix ingredients to bind.
To prepare the Tarragon butter:
- Combine the butter, Gregg’s rubbed Tarragon, parsley and lemon zest.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan assisted).
- Pat the chicken dry inside and out with paper towels. Fill the chicken cavity with the prepared stuffing.
- Carefully separate the skin from the breast meat of the chicken by running your fingers under the skin, at the tail end, avoiding breaking the skin. With a small palette knife, spread the tarragon butter under the skin and over the breast. Massaging the skin with your fingers will also help spread it out over the breast meat.
- Tuck the wings under the chicken and tie the legs together. Place in a roasting dish.
- Roast for approximately 1 ½ hours.* To check if the chicken is cooked insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh. The juices will run clear when the chicken is cooked. If using a thermometer the internal temperature should be 74°C. Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Serve with your favourite roast vegetables.
*Roast chicken for approximately 30 minutes per 500g.
Watch How To Video
- If using a frozen chicken, thaw completely in the refrigerator before using.
- The chicken bones and carcass can be used to make chicken stock. Place in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Add 1 onion and 1 carrot roughly chopped, a handful of celery leaves, 2 fresh bay leaves, sprig of thyme and a handful of parsley stalks. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours. Strain. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool. Stock can be frozen in an airtight container.
- Cooked chicken can be wrapped in cling wrap, sealable plastic bag or container. Will freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator. Chicken should only be reheated once.