1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. In a bowl, combine dates, baking soda and boiling water, allow to stand for 15 minutes or until the dates have softened and cooled.
3. In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar together, add egg and 1/4 cup Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup beating well.
4. Sift the flour into the creamed mixture and gently fold in with dates and any remaining liquid.
5. Pour remaining 1/4 cup Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup into the base of a 22cm diameter round cake tin lined with baking paper. Spoon over the cake batter.
6. Bake for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Serve cut into wedges with extra syrup on the side.
7. Alternatively, put 2 tsp Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup into the base of 6 greased ramekins, divide the batter evenly between them. Place on a baking tray and bake as above for 25-30 minutes.