- 1.2 kg ½ leg lamb, bone in
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large carrot, cut lengthwise in thick pieces
- 1 large parsnip, cut lengthwise into large pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 2 x 400g cans Wattie's Savoury Tomatoes
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Mediterranean Basil Pesto Chunky Dip (optional)
- Heat the slow cooker on low. Place prepared onions, carrot and parsnip into the base of the slow cooker.
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and brown the lamb over a high heat. Transfer to the slow cooker and place on top of the vegetables, fat side up. Make small incisions in the lamb and stud with garlic.
- Pour over Wattie’s Savoury Tomatoes. Add rosemary. Cover. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove the cooked lamb from the slow cooker. Shred and place on a serving dish with the cooked vegetables around it. Serve with the tomato sauce. Season to taste. Serve lamb with the vegetables, accompanied with Mediterranean Basil Pesto Chunky Dip if wished.
If necessary the sauce can be thickened with a little cornflour. Mix 1 - 2 tsp of cornflour with a little cold water to form a paste. Whisk into the hot tomato sauce to thicken.
Ripened on the vine under the Hawke’s Bay sun, Wattie’s Savoury Tomatoes are blended with onion, celery and capsicum to provide a great base for many Kiwi favourites.