- 1.5 kg piece corned beef
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 10-12 peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp soft brown sugar
- 425 g can Golden Circle Pineapple Slices in Juice, drained and juice reserved
1. Turn the slow cooker on to low to preheat. Remove corned beef from wrapping and rinse. Place in the slow cooker with carrot, celery, onion, peppercorns and brown sugar. Pour in the reserved pineapple juice and add enough hot water to almost cover the corned beef.
3. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Add the pineapple slices after the beef has been cooking for 6 hours. Continue cooking until the meat is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
4. Serve with mashed potatoes, steamed cabbage and your favourite sauce.
1. Prepare as for slow cooker but place ingredients in a large saucepan. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or untill meat is tender.
2. Add pineapple 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
You can cook as many vegetables with the corned beef as you wish. Parsnip also goes well with these flavours.