- 1 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 750 g gravy beef, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup beef stock
- 70 g sachet Wattie’s Tomato Paste
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup milk
1. Turn the slow cooker onto low to preheat. Mix flour with paprika and season with salt and pepper.
2. Toss beef into the seasoned flour.
3. Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan. Add onions and garlic and stir fry to soften onion. Transfer to the slow cooker. Add a little extra oil to the frying pan and add the meat and brown over a high heat. Add to the onions and garlic. Add mushrooms. Sprinkle over oregano.
4. In a jug mix together beef stock and Wattie’s Tomato Paste. Pour over beef. Cover. Cook on low for 6 hours.
5. Increase slow cooker to high. Drop spoonfuls of dumpling mixture onto the top of the beef. Cover and cook a further 1 hour until beef is tender and dumplings are cooked. Serve with mashed potato and seasonal vegetables.
To make the dumplings: Put flour, baking powder, salt and chopped parsley into a mixing bowl. Pour in milk and mix to form a soft dough. The mixture will be quite sticky.
Oven Cook Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare as for slow cooker but place ingredients in an ovenproof dish. Cover. Place in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Add the dumpling mixture. Cover and cook a further 45-60 minutes, until dumplings are cooked and meat tender.