- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 rashers bacon, thickly sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 400 g can Wattie’s Tomatoes with Basil
- 1 cup Wattie’s frozen Baby Peas
- 200 g raw prawn meat, thawed
- 150 g calamari, thawed
- 8 mussels in the shell, cleaned and beard removed
- Heat the stock until near boiling. Set aside. Heat a dash of oil in a large lidded frying pan. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from heat.
- Add onion and cook until it begins to soften. Return bacon to the pan. Stir in smoked paprika and rice.
- Pour over hot stock. Stir. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring half way through cooking.
- Stir in Wattie’s Tomatoes with Basil and Wattie’s frozen Baby Peas. Add seafood. Cover and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking another 5 minutes or until mussels have opened and seafood is cooked, and sauce is absorbed into the rice.
- Stand for 5 minutes before serving (discard any mussels that have not opened). Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Watch How To Video
Use any of your favourite fish and shellfish varieties, or replace with chicken - add the chicken with onion to ensure it cooks.
Ripened on the vine under the Hawke’s Bay sun, Wattie’s Tomatoes with Basil are blended with a delicious tomato purée.