- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp chilli seasoning
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4-6 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 420 g can Wattie’s Extra Rich and Thick Condensed Tomato Soup
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander or mint
1. Combine spices with the flour in a plastic bag; toss lamb shanks, one at a time, into the bag with the seasoning. Keep any leftover spiced flour.
2. Heat a dash of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Brown the lamb shanks evenly, turning frequently. Transfer them to a casserole dish. Keep the oil used to brown the lamb for the next step.
3. Gently fry onion, garlic, celery and parsnips in the residue oil, until tender, but not brown. Stir in the leftover spiced flour and cook for 1 minute. Add Wattie’s Extra Rich and Thick Condensed Tomato Soup with a can of water, and stir to combine until the sauce boils. Pour over the browned lamb shanks, cover and cook at 160°C for 2 – 2 1/2 hours or until the shanks are tender.
4. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper. Garnish with coriander or mint. Serve with mashed potatoes or kumara, and your favourite winter greens.
Crockpot/Slow cooker instructions:
Follow instructions 1-3 but reduce the water to 1/2 cup and place in slow cooker and cook on LOW for approx 8 hours (refer to your user manual). Serve as above.