- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- ½ cup sugar
- 850g can Wattie’s Black Doris Plums in Syrup
- 1½ cups flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ cup soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 100g butter, melted
- Cream or Greek-style yoghurt (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease a deep sided 18–20 cm diameter ovenproof dish.
- To make the Topping: Sift the cocoa into a small bowl and stir in the sugar. Set aside.
- To make the Pudding Batter: Drain Wattie’s Black Doris Plums and reserve the syrup. You will need 1¼ cups of syrup. Remove the stones from the plums. Place the plums in the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a mixing bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Whisk the egg and milk together and pour into the dry ingredients with the melted butter. Fold the ingredients together to mix. Spoon the batter over the plums. Smooth the top with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle the top with prepared sugar and cocoa.
- Heat the plum syrup until boiling. Carefully pour over the batter. Bake for 35–40 minutes or until the pudding springs back when gently pressed in the centre. Serve hot with cream or Greek-style yoghurt, if wished.