- 115 g softened butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ¾ cups flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 x 410 g cans Wattie's Pear Quarters in Juice, well drained
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease or line with baking paper a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy and mix in the egg. Stir in the flour and baking powder. Mix to a soft dough.
3. Roll out two-thirds of the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Line the base of the cake tin with the dough. Place the pear quarters over the base with the sheets of baking paper, then place the dough over the pears for the top. Don't worry if it breaks in places.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
5. Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Chilling the pastry for a few minutes makes it easier to handle. To make an apple shortcake, use Wattie's Sliced Apples.