- 600 g lean lamb leg steaks, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 400 g Wattie's Moroccan Style Tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- 2 ¼ cups hot chicken stock
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2-3 Tbsp raisins
- 2 Tbsp toasted slivered almonds
1. Brown the lamb in a dash oil in a hot frying pan. This is best done in two batches. Set aside.
2. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and pan fry until tender, but not brown. Stir in Wattie’s Moroccan Style Tomatoes, chicken stock and lamb to the sauce, cover and simmer gently 15-20 minutes. Stir in the coriander just before serving. Season if wished.
3. Heat a dash oil in a large lidded saucepan and cook the onion until just starting to colour. Add basmati rice and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the hot chicken stock, with turmeric or saffron and raisins.
4. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stand 5 minutes withoutlifting the lid. Scatter with toasted almonds.
For a more authentic rice dish use 2 pinches of saffron threads in place of the turmeric.