- 1 Tbsp Gregg’s Red Ribbon Roast Instant Coffee Powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Gregg's Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Gregg’s Ground Mixed Spice
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 200g dark chocolate
- ½ cup cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease and line the base of a 23cm cake tin.
- Dissolve Gregg’s Red Ribbon Roast Instant Coffee Powder in hot water and set aside to cool.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, Gregg’s Ground Ginger and Gregg’s Ground Mixed Spice into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar.
- Beat together sour cream, eggs, oil and cooled coffee. Pour into the dry ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes, or until mixture is smooth. Pour into prepared tin. The mixture will be runny.
- Bake for 1 – 1 ¼ hours. Leave in the tin to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a baking rack to cool completely. Once cold prepare the chocolate ganache and pour over the cake – swirling with a knife to decorate.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl. Heat cream until almost boiling. Pour over the chocolate. Stand until chocolate starts to melt. Stir until smooth and glossy. Do not over mix.
Replace instant coffee and hot water with 1 cup strong espresso coffee if wished.