- 300 g lean beef mince
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 420 g can Wattie’s Baked Beans
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 400 g block flaky puff pastry, thawed
- 6 slices cheese
- 700 g bag Wattie’s frozen Steam ‘n’ Mash
- ½ cup milk
- 15 g butter (optional)
- 700 g bag Wattie’s frozen Super-greens
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fan assisted) or 210°C conventional oven. Grease 6 extra large muffin tins (200ml capacity). Heat a dash of oil in a pan. Add mince and quickly brown over a high heat. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onion to the pan and cook until it begins to soften.
- Return the mince to the pan. Add Wattie’s Baked Beans, tomato paste, Worcestershire Sauce and mixed herbs. Stir. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (the mixture will be quite thick so take care it doesn’t burn). Set aside to cool.
- Roll the flaky pastry out. Using a 16cm plate as a guide, cut circles out of the pastry, re-rolling the pastry as necessary. Carefully push the pastry into the muffin tins. Place a slice of cheese into the base and sides of the pastry. Refrigerate while preparing the mash.
- Microwave Wattie’s frozen Steam ‘n’ Mash according to the packet directions. Tip into a bowl and mash with the milk and butter. Season to taste.
- To assemble: Divide the mince filling between the 6 pie cases. Pile with mashed potato. Fluff the tops with a fork. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the pastry is cooked and potato top golden. Allow pies to sit for 10 minutes before removing them from the tins.
- Serve with Wattie’s frozen Super Greens or your favourite vegetables.
You can substitute Wattie’s Baked Beans with Wattie’s Baked Beans 50% Less Added Sugar*, if preferred.
* Contains 50% less added sugar and 30% less salt than the regular Wattie’s Baked Beans in tomato sauce 420g.