- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp Wattie's Tomato Paste
- 2 x 400g cans Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes
- 400g can Wattie's Black Beans in Springwater, drained
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeño peppers (optional)
- Handful fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook over a low heat until onion is soft. Add cumin, coriander and tomato paste. Stir and continue cooking a further minute.
- Pour over Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes. Add Wattie’s Black Beans and chopped oregano. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce is reduced by a third. Stir in jalapeño peppers if desired. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Brown 400g of mince with the onions and garlic. Continue as per the recipe. Serve over nachos or in tacos. It maybe necessary to reduce the sauce further if using in tacos.
- Serve sauce over grilled or crumbed chicken.
- Great served over a grilled steak.
- Spice up your sausages! Grill sausages and either pour sauce over or cut cooked sausages into pieces and add to sauce. Click here to see the recipe!
- For Mexican fish. Flour and panfry snapper fillets. Serve sauce over the cooked fish.
- For a Mexican inspired cottage pie. Brown 400g mince with the onions and garlic and continue as per recipe. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and top with creamy mashed potato. Sprinkle with grated cheese bake until potato is golden and filling hot.
- Replace Black Beans with your favourite legumes – canned and drained chickpeas, kidney beans or haricot beans.
- Use as the base on Pizza and create a Mexican pizza – simply top with your favourite toppings.
Ideal for creating delicious pasta sauces and casseroles, the unique single serve format means there’s no mess or waste. No added salt or sugar or preservatives.
Ripened on the vine under the Hawke’s Bay sun, Wattie’s Mexican Style Tomatoes are diced and blended, then seasoned for an authentic Mexican flavour.
Wattie’s Black Beans are super versatile and are a great addition to or replacement for meat dishes.
Heated or eaten as is, they are delicious from morning to night in Mexican cuisine such as burritos and tacos or simply used in dips, salads, soups and casseroles.