- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 420g can Wattie's Condensed Tomato Soup
- 400g can Wattie's Red Kidney Beans in Springwater, drained
- 50g low fat cheddar, grated
- 800g potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- Heat a dash of oil in a deep frying pan. Add onion and cook over medium heat until beginning to soften. Increase the heat and add mince and garlic. Stir fry to brown meat, breaking up mince with a fork if necessary.
- Stir in cumin, coriander and chilli flakes. Pour over Wattie’s Condensed Tomato Soup and add ½ cup of water. Stir in Wattie’s Red Kidney Beans. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until mince is cooked and sauce reduced.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Spoon cooked mince and beans into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over grated cheese. Top with Mashed potato. Bake for 20-25 minutes until potato topping is golden and filling hot. Serve with your favourite green vegetables on the side.
- Cook potatoes in boiling lightly salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain well. Mash. Mix through a knob of butter and approx 2 tablespoons milk until smooth and creamy.
Red kidney beans are a convenient way to make your meat dishes go further. Add them to mince recipes, soups, stews and casseroles to make the meal go further, whilst also bumping up the protein and dietary fibre.