- 3 large onions, sliced
- ¼ cup Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4x 125 g trimmed, about 1cm thickness
- 1 ciabatta loaf, cut into 4 pieces
- ½ cup Eta Kiwi-style Onion Mayonnaise
- mesclun salad leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
1. Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan. Add the onions. Cover and cook over a medium heat until they begin to soften. Remove the lid and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes until the onions start to change colour. Add Cottee’s Maple Flavoured Syrup and balsamic vinegar. Stir. Continue to cook over a medium heat uncovered for a further 30-35 minutes, until the onions are soft and caramelised, and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
1. BBQ or quickly pan fry the sirloin steaks over a high heat until just cooked, turning once during cooking. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
2. Cut ciabatta pieces in half. Spread the tops and the bottoms of the bread with Eta Kiwi-style Onion Mayonnaise.
3. Top half the bread with mesclun leaves, tomato slices, steak and caramelised onions. Cover with the remaining bread pieces.