- 3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries and blueberries
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 6 Tbsp dessert wine or orange juice
- 1-2 punnets strawberries
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 250 g pack unfilled sponge
- 600 g carton chilled vanilla custard
- ½ cup cream, whipped
- 1 ½ Tbsp toasted slivered almonds
1. Use a fork to lightly mash fresh or partially thawed raspberries and blueberries with 3 Tbsp caster sugar and dessert wine. Reserve 3 good strawberries for decoration. Quarter the remaining strawberries and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp caster sugar, to form a small amount of light syrup.
2. Cut the unfilled sponge in half horizontally. Use pastry cutters to cut 12 circles of sponge to fit 6 serving glasses.
3. Divide the strawberries in syrup between 6 glasses. Top with a layer of sponge, press down firmly. Spoon about 2 Tbsp mashed berries in wine over the sponge. Pour 1/2 carton vanilla custard over the berries, top with a second layer of sponge. Spoon remaining berries over the sponge, pour over remaining custard. Cover each glass with cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
4. Decorate each trifle with a swirl of whipped cream, sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds and 1/2 a strawberry.