- 4 Tegel frozen Free-flow Chicken Thighs, thawed
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 150 g button mushrooms, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes in puree
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- bouquet garni (bay leaf, parsley stalks, thyme) tied together or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¾ cup long grain rice
- 3 ½ cups Wattie’s frozen Chunky Mix Vegetables
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. On the stove top heat a dash of oil in a flameproof casserole. Over a high heat quickly brown Tegel Free-flow Chicken Thighs. Set aside. Reduce heat and add onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook until they begin to soften. Return the chicken to the casserole.
2. Mix together chopped tomatoes in puree, tomato paste, chicken stock and balsamic vinegar if using. Pour over the chicken. Bring sauce to the boil. Add bouquet garni. Cover. Transfer to the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and add rice. Cover. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes before adding Wattie’s frozen Chunky Mix Vegetables. Cover and return to the oven again for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked and vegetables are tender. Remove bouquet garni and season to taste.