750 g beef chuck, blade or gravy beef cut into
2 cm pieces
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 330 ml can beer or dark ale
- 150 g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
- 700 g bag Wattie's frozen Casserole Mix
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Toss beef in flour.
- Heat a dash of oil in a flame proof casserole dish and brown the beef over a high heat This may be best done in 2 batches. Remove the meat and set aside. Reduce the heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat until onions soften. It maybe necessary to add a little extra oil. Stir in tomato paste. Pour over beer and allow it to boil for 2 minutes. Return beef to the pan with the mushrooms and bay leaf. Pour over stock and bring to the boil. Cover.
- Transfer casserole to the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven. Add Wattie’s frozen Casserole Mix. Do not stir vegetables into the sauce. Cover. Return to the oven and cook for a further 1 hour until meat is tender. Stir vegetables into the sauce and remove bay leaf. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if necessary. Serve with extra vegetables on the side if wished.