- 200g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup milk
- 1-2 red apples (Envy or Braeburn)
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp Gregg's Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Gregg's Ground Cinnamon
Apple Syrup Glaze: (optional)
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease and line a 23cm loose bottom cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in sifted gluten free flour, baking powder and ground almonds with the milk. Spoon into the prepared tin, levelling the top with a knife.
- Cut the apple into quarters and remove the core. Slice thinly. Place the apple slices onto the cake, fanning them out so that they overlap. Sprinkle the spiced sugar over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a baking rack to cool. Brush with apple syrup glaze if wished. Serve sliced with Greek Yoghurt or whipped cream. A little lemon curd on the side will also go well.
- Mix sugar, Gregg’s Ground Nutmeg and Gregg’s Ground Cinnamon together.
Apple Syrup Glaze:
- Boil the apple juice in a small saucepan until reduced to a syrup.
- A mandoline is a good kitchen tool for slicing the apples thinly and evenly.
- Serve sliced with Greek Yoghurt or whipped cream. A little lemon curd on the side will also go well.