- 200g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup icing sugar (100g)
- 1¾ cups gluten free flour (250g)
- ½ cup rice flour (85g)
- Zest from ½ lemon
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 Tbsp boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 160°C, fan bake.
2. Beat the butter, vanilla extract and icing sugar together until creamy. Mix in gluten free flour, rice flour and lemon zest
3. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly until smooth.
4. Roll out to approx 7.5mm thickness. Cut out into small stars using a biscuit cutter and place on a baking paper lined baking tray.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges begin to turn slightly golden, but the biscuits remain approximately the same colour as they were prior to baking. Transfer to a cake rack to cool.
6. Spread icing over the top of the shortbread and decorate with silver and gold cachous if wished. Leave to set before storing in an airtight container. These shortbread are also delicious uniced.
Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Mix in enough boiling water until icing drops easily from the spoon.