- 1kg Feijoa, peeled and diced
- 400g Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced
- 300g onions, peeled and chopped
- 50g fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 star anise
- 750ml bottle cider vinegar
- 500g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
1. Put the prepared feijoas, apples, onions and ginger into a heavy based preserving pan or wide based saucepan.
2. Pour over ½ cup of water and add the star anise.
3. Cook gently over a low to medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until the fruit and onions are soft. Add cider vinegar, brown sugar and cardamon. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 1 – 1 ½ hours until chutney is thick. Stir occasionally during cooking to avoid the chutney catching on the bottom of the pan.
4. Pour into sterilised jars and seal. Allow to mature for a month to 6 weeks before eating. Great served with cheese and cold meats.