- Size 3.5 turkey, thawed
- 1 cup Wattie's Bit on the Side Cracker Cranberry Sauce
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole star anise
Pork, Pistachio and Cranberry Stuffing Balls:
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 300g pork sausage meat
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (2 slices bread)
- ¼ cup Wattie's Bit on the Side Cracker Cranberry Sauce
- ¼ cup shelled raw pistachios, chopped
- Preheat a lidded BBQ to 200°C. Remove the giblets and neck, if necessary, from the thawed turkey.
- To butterfly or spatchcock the turkey, using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut turkey down each side of the backbone. Turn turkey breast side up. Press firmly on the breastbone to flatten.
- To make the glaze: Heat ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the spice flavours to infuse.
- Place the turkey breast side up on a lined hotplate or in a tray. Brush the turkey with the glaze and close the lid. Leave the outside burners on low and only open every 20 minutes to glaze. Cook for approximately 1 ¼ hours. Insert a skewer into the thickest part of the meat and when the juices run clear the turkey is cooked. Alternatively use a meat thermometer, the internal temperature should be 74°C.
- Remove the turkey from the heat. Cover and rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve with Pork, Pistachio and Cranberry Stuffing Balls.
- To make the stuffing balls : Heat a dash of oil in a small saucepan and gently cook the onion until soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Combine sausage meat, onion, breadcrumbs, Wattie’s Bit on the Side Cracker Cranberry Sauce and pistachios. Roll into 18 walnut sized balls. Place on a tray and refrigerate until ready to cook. These can be either cooked on the BBQ while the turkey is resting or in a preheated 180°C (fan bake) oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Make the stuffing balls beforehand and freeze on a tray. Once frozen put into plastic bags for free flow stuffing balls. Cook from frozen – adding an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time – or thaw in the fridge before cooking as per the main instructions.
- The butterfly turkey can be cooked in the oven 180°C for 1 ¼- 1 ½ hours until cooked as per instructions for BBQ method.
- If sausage meat is unavailable purchase pure pork sausages and remove the casing – you will need approx. 4 large sausages.
- A larger turkey can be used but longer cooking will be required. Check to see if cooked as per the instructions in the recipe.