- 1 size 16 fresh chicken
- ¾x 300 g bottle Wattie's Bit on the Side Cracker Cranberry Sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 Tbsp soft brown sugar
- zest of 1 orange
1. Preheat a lidded barbecue to 200°C.
2. To butterfly or spatchcock the chicken, using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut chicken down each side of the backbone. Remove the backbone. Turn chicken breast side up. Press firmly on the breastbone to flatten.
3. To make the glaze mix together Wattie's Bit on the Side Cracker Cranberry Sauce, Chinese five spice, brown sugar and orange zest.
4. Place the chicken breast-side up in a tray or on a lined hotplate. Brush liberally with glaze, place on the barbecue and close the lid. Turn the middle burner off and reduce the outside burners to low.
5. Glaze the chicken every 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary according to chicken size and barbecue model. Allow approx 45-60 minutes.
6. To test if the chicken is fully cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the meat, when the juices run clear the meat is cooked. Leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Watch How To Video
1. If preferred the chicken can be cooked in the oven at 180°C fan bake.
2. This recipe also works well using a turkey – follow instructions as per the recipe but allow extra cooking time – approx. 1 ½ hours for a size 4.0 turkey.
3. The chicken can also be roasted whole – basting as for the butterfly chicken.
4. The size of the chicken will depend on how many you are wanting to feed. The recipe for the glaze can be adjusted depending on the size of the chicken used.