- Chicken Casserole
- 500 g boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, sliced and washed
- 50 g butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups Wattie’s frozen Chunky Mix
Mashed Potato Topping
- 800 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 30 g butter
- ½ cup grated cheese
1. Place the chicken breasts in a saucepan, skin side up. Add 1 1/2 cups water, bay leaf and sliced onion. Cover and poach gently over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Turn the chicken over halfway through cooking. Remove the chicken from the pan and strain cooking stock, reserving 1 cup. Remove the skin from the chicken, cut meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat the butter in the saucepan. Add leek and garlic and cook until the leek starts to soften, but not brown. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the reserved stock and milk, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens. Continue cooking a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Stir the cooked chicken and the Wattie’s frozen Chunky Mix
into the sauce. Spoon into a lasagne-style dish.
4. For the mashed potato topping, boil potatoes in lightly salted water untill tender. Drain and mash, adding milk and butter, untill smooth and creamy. Spoon over the chicken and rough the top with a fork. Sprinkle over grated cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until hot and golden.
For variation replace half the potatoes with kumara.