- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large kumara (about 400g), peeled and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thick rings
- 1 - 1.2 kg beef topside
- 1 cup beef stock
- ⅓ cup red wine (optional)
- 70 g sachet Wattie’s Tomato Paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
1. Turn the slow cooker onto low to preheat. Put the prepared onions, kumara and carrots into the slow cooker.
2. Place the piece of topside, fat side up onto the vegetables.
3. In a jug mix together beef stock, red wine (if using) and Wattie’s Tomato Paste. Pour over meat. Add bay leaves. Cover. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, until meat is tender.
4. Transfer meat to a serving platter. Place vegetables around the meat. Mix cornflour with a little cold water to a smooth paste. Whisk into the sauce to thicken. Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper if required.
5. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and seasonal green vegetables.
Preheat oven to 160°
C. Prepare as for slow cooker but place ingredients in an ovenproof dish. Cover. Place in the oven and cook for 2 ½ - 3 hours until meat is tender.