- 450g can Wattie's Baby Beetroot
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup oil (canola or any mild vegetable oil)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup cocoa
- Chocolate Ganache
- 125 g dark chocolate
- ¼ cup cream
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a 20cm diameter cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Drain the Wattie’s Baby Beetroot. Purée in a food processor or blender until smooth.
3. Put eggs, oil, caster sugar and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl. Beat together well. Mix in the beetroot purée. Sift the self raising flour, baking soda and cocoa into the mixture and mix to combine. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
4. Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a cake rack to cool.
5. When the cake is cold, dust with icing sugar before serving or top with Chocolate Ganache.
To make Chocolate Ganache:
Gently melt chocolate and cream in a small bowl over hot water until chocolate melts. Stir to combine. Allow to cool and thicken before pouring over the top of the cake.