- 850g can Wattie's Black Doris Plums in Syrup
- 175g butter, softened
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ½ cup dark chocolate bits
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional bake). Grease and line the base of a 23cm loose bottom cake tin with baking paper.
- Drain Wattie’s Black Doris Plums. Cut plums in half and remove the stone. Cut half of the plum halves into pieces. Place plums on a tray lined with paper towels to absorb any excess syrup.
- Beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa into the creamed mixture and gently fold in with the ground almonds, dark chocolate bits and plum pieces.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Gently press remaining plum halves, cut side up onto the cake mixture. Bake for 50-55 minutes until cake is cooked. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake will come out clean when the cake is cooked. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cake rack to cool. When cold dust with icing sugar to serve. Serve with whipped cream or Greek yoghurt on the side.
Replace ground almonds with ground hazelnuts if wished.