- 4-6 lamb shanks
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 1-2 stalks celery, sliced
- 150 g mushrooms, halved
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 400 g can Wattie's Tomatoes Italian Style
- 2 Tbsp Wattie's Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup red wine or water
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC. Brown the lamb shanks in a dash of oil in a large, flame-proof casserole dish. Scatter over onions, celery, mushrooms and thyme.
2. Pour in the Wattie’s Italian Style Tomatoes, Wattie's Tomato Paste, balsamic vinegar and wine or water and stir together.
3. Place in oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until lamb is tender. Remove from oven and set aside to rest.
Serve shanks with potatoes and your favourite winter greens.
Crockpot/Slow Cooker Instructions:
Place the ingredients from Steps 1 and 2 into a slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours (refer to your user manual). Serve as above.