- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 rashers bacon, diced
- 420 g can Wattie's Baked Beans
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- ¾ cup cold mashed potato or kumara
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- Heat a dash of oil in a non-stick frying pan, gently fry onion and bacon until tender but not brown.
- In a bowl, combine Wattie’s Baked Beans, cooked onion and bacon, parsley, mashed potatoes, self raising flour and egg yolks. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites carefully into the bean mixture with a large metal spoon.
- Heat a little oil in the frying pan and cook large spoonfuls over a low to moderate heat for about 3 minutes each side. Keep warm in the oven until the remaining mixture is cooked.
- Serve fritters with slices of fresh tomato, rocket and crispy rashers of bacon.
You can substitute Wattie’s Baked Beans with Wattie’s Baked Beans 50% Less Added Sugar*, if preferred.
* Contains 50% less added sugar and 30% less salt than the regular Wattie’s Baked Beans in tomato sauce 420g.