Do you love your pickled veges? Are you hoping to get pickling soon? It’s super easy with our all-purpose Easy Pickling Recipe and our handy tips and tricks below.
Pickling Tips & Tricks
- Ensure your vegetables are fresh when pickled. Always select the most unspoiled produce at the supermarket and ensure they are relatively even in shape and size.
- Always wash and scrub your vegetables thoroughly before pickling them.
- For crisper pickles, put the vegetables (especially ones that have a high water content) into a wide bowl and spread a layer of salt on top. Cover and leave it overnight at room temperature. Rinse the vegetables thoroughly before picking them. The salt will draw out excess moisture from the vegetables and make them crisper.
- Ensure to sterilise your empty jars beforehand. To sterilise jars, wash in hot soapy water, rinse well and place upside down in a 140°C oven for 15-20 minutes until they are dry.
- Always ensure your vegetables are totally immersed in the brine. This is to ensure they preserve well. Any veges that are not immersed will contaminate the rest of the veges over time.
- Ensure that your storing jars are non-reactive – glass, plastic and stainless steel all work best.
- It’s always best to add a label with the date of when you pickled your veges so you don’t forget.
Perfect pairings for your pickled veges: