Recipes by Di Swann
1. If necessary, defrost the Tegel Turkey according to the instructions on the packet. Place turkey, breast side down on a chopping board and, using kitchen shears, cut down each side of the backbone and remove it completely. Turn the turkey over, press flat and pat dry.
2. To make glaze: heat ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes to infuse the flavours.
3. Preheat lidded barbecue to 200°C and place turkey breast-side up on a lined hotplate or in a tray. Brush the turkey with glaze and close lid on the barbecue. Leave outside burners on low and only open every 30 minutes to glaze. Cooking times will vary according to turkey size and barbecue. As a guide, allow 1 1/2 hours for a size 4.0 turkey.
4. Insert a skewer into the thickest part of the meat, when the juices run clear the meat is cooked. Remove from heat, cover and rest for 15 minutes before carving.
5. To make the stuffing; heat butter in a saucepan. Add onion and sauté until soft. Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients. Grease foil, spoon stuffing onto it and roll up into a log shape. This can be cooked alongside the turkey in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
To cook the turkey in the oven or as a whole turkey, see our blog for details.